The dining room floors. It was one of the first things we decided to leave. Ed and Vicki immediately took a liking to the odd and misshapen floors. They had a strange patched together quality about them that took a little getting used to but eventually they grew on me too. And after all, there was already so much work that needed to be done to the space, we simply couldn’t redo everything. Traditional white oak hardwood blanketed 80% of the space with large boards of plywood bordering the north and east ends. Some of the oak planks were buckling over and appeared to be held together by a smattering of exposed nails. I just thought they looked sorta funny. Never in a million years would I have guessed what lurked beneath it all……
Mozart’s crew loved the aesthetic of the patchy floors, but they also wanted very badly to fix the problem areas for us. This is what they found when they lifted one of the boards…..
That ladies and gentleman is carpet you see. Yep, you read that right. Carpet under hardwood. Now for the average person this may be a little unsightly and perhaps even amusing. If you know much about me, you’ll know I can be a little phobic when it comes to germs. The mere thought of what could have been festering in the fibers of that carpet that hadn’t seen the light of day in god knows how long made me want to gag. It was sheer mortification like I hadn’t felt in a very long time.
So after having another stressful visit with the expense tracker, and tweaking and re-working our numbers some more, we finally found a way to rid the moldy carpet and stay in budget. Yes, my friends, we decided to do the work ourselves. Stay tuned for more details!